Certification is renewable upon completion of an application to the Certification Board that includes a summary of evidence (and supporting documentation) of a minimum of 40 clock hours of continuing education/training obtained during the previous two 2-year period.
Continuing education/training should include topics pertaining to the domains of the held credential, which would satisfy a Board requirement that the counselor has maintained his/her competencies of the credential and kept current in the profession.
All recertification applications must include a signed affirmation to reconfirm the applicant’s commitment to the Ethical Standards of Certified Professionals.
GENERAL CERTIFICATION RENEWAL REQUIREMENTS
- Certification is renewable upon current and continuous membership in MAAP.
- The Board may refuse to act on the application if there is evidence of the individual not meeting the professional code of ethics.
- Recertification may be denied by the Certification Board by independent action or upon recommendation of the Board of Directors of the Mississippi Association of Addiction Professionals with proof of gross violations of the MAAP professional code of ethics.
- An applicant who is denied recertification may appeal to the board for a hearing, at which at least six (6) of the 10 Board members must be present. If applicant is still not satisfied after this hearing, the applicant may appeal to a special Board of five members, which will be appointed for this purpose. This special Board will consist of the President of MAAP or his appointed representative and four (4) other members of MAAP. None of these four temporarily appointed persons may be members of the Certification Board.
- Certification is considered lapsed on the expiration date of the credential. There is no grace period. Timely application to the Certification Board is the responsibility of the certificate holder. For timely renewal, allow a minimum of 60 days from the date of expiration for recertification application to be reviewed and processed. For Certifications lapsed over 4 years the applicant must submit a new portfolio and application for certification and take the IC&RC written exam that corresponds to the credential they are applying for. A letter of verification of work status from the applicant’s supervisor must accompany the application.
To begin the renewal process, browse to the certification type you are looking to renew.